For the pastry:
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
3 tbsp coconut sugar
6 tbsp Vita Coco coconut oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
2-3.5 tbsp ice cold water
1 tbsp Vita Coco coconut milk (to brush on the pastry)
For the filling:
1 large apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
Small handful walnuts, finely chopped
Zest one small clementine
1 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla paste
Juice half lemon
1-2 tbsp coconut sugar
200g vegan mince meat
Optional: Lollipop sticks, to eat
- Preheat your oven to 190C, then line a large baking tray.
- To make your filling, place the apple into a small saucepan, along with the teaspoon of coconut oil, the coconut sugar and a small splash of water. Cook on a low to medium heat, stirring often, until the apple has softened. Stir in the remaining filling ingredients, then set aside.
- Now, make your pastry. Stir together all dry ingredients until combined. Add in the oil and then, using your fingers, rub the oil into the flour and sugar, lifting your hands high as you go so that the mixture gets plenty of air. Rub the mixture until the dough is uniform in texture (it will be crumbly for now, but don’t worry – this is what you want!).
- One tablespoon at a time, add in the ice cold water. Stir in between each tablespoon, and use your hands to bring the dough together – only add water until the dough comes together. Wrap in baking paper and place in the fridge for five minutes.
- Roll out your dough between two sheets of baking paper (if your dough is sticky, it will need extra time in the fridge – but don’t put it in for too long, else the coconut oil will become hard and your dough won’t be workable!). Using a cookie cutter, cut 8-12 discs. Use small cutters to cut shapes (e.g stars) in half of these discs, if desired. If not, score small crosses into the centre of these discs to allow steam out as your pastries cook.
- Spoon the mincemeat filling onto half of these discs (the ones without the shapes cut in), leaving a clear border around the edge. Place the remaining discs on top, then use your fingers to seal the edges. Now, use a fork to “crimp” the borders together, sealing the pastries completely. Pop each pastry onto the lined baking tray.
- Brush the pastries lightly with coconut milk, then sprinkle over a little extra coconut sugar.
- Place the pastries in the fridge for a final 15 minutes before placing in the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and bubbling inside. Remove from the oven, and slide the lollipop sticks (I recommend using thick wooden ones as they hold better) into the pastries when they are still warm but safe enough to handle. Allow to cool, then eat!
Get baking! Be sure to share your snaps with us on Instagram @VitaCocoEU