With winter upon us, you can’t beat cosying up with a tasty home cooked pie, and when you throw in a warming blend of spices and a sweet potato twist, what could be better?
We love Selasi’s Sweet Potato Pie recipe. Like any good pie, the recipe is quick and easy, making it the perfect stress-free dinner party recipe, or for a hearty mid-week dinner, with lunch sorted for the next day.
· 3-4 tbsps Vita Coco Coconut Oil.
· 1 red onion, chopped,
· 2-3 carrots, chopped
· 100g sundried tomatoes, chopped
· 1 garlic glove, grated
· Thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
· 2 tbsps. tomato puree
· 1 can of chopped tomatoes
· 1 aubergine, chopped
· 1 tsp paprika
· ½ tsp cayenne pepper
· 1 vegetable stock cube
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 4 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
· 1 ½ tsp turmeric
· Pinch of sea salt
· Ground black pepper to taste
· Chopped fresh thyme
· 1 tsp Vita Coco Coconut Oil
· 1 tsp honey
1. In a large pan, begin to fry the onion, carrots, sundried tomato, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the puree and fry for 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add the can of tomatoes and the remaining ingredients.
4. Cover and leave to simmer /reduce for about 15 minutes.
5. Fill a medium pan with boiling water and add some salt. Boil the sweet potatoes until just soft (about 15-20 minutes).
6. Drain the water once cooked, and mash the sweet potato. Add the turmeric, black pepper, thyme, oil and honey.
7. Preheat the grill at 200c.
8. Pour your sauce into a 25 * 19cm oven dish. Place your mash in a piping bag, cut the end and pipe blobs neatly onto the sauce, covering the entire dish.
9. Sprinkle with some sea salt and grill for 10-15mins until crisp and golden on top.
Show us your winter warmers this December - tag @VitaCocoUK #EatItSwearByIt