We know what you're thinking: strawberry shortcakes seem complicated. You have to make the biscuits, make the strawberry sauce, blah, blah, blah. But we're here to tell you, it's not what you think! Our strawberry shortcake recipe is easy, breezy, and forgiving--meaning that they'll look as beautiful as our picture, and taste just as great!
The best part is, you don't have to deal with the traditional "dessert guilt--" you know, the moment where you finish something so delicious, you just KNOW it was 2,000 calories! Our strawberry shortcakes use Vita Coco Coconutmilk and coconut oil, meaning that they're just a little bit lighter (and more universal, for all of our dairy-free eaters)!
Oh, and did we mention you can add whatever ice cream you want to them?
For the Biscuits:
- 1/3 cup Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Vita Coco Coconutmilk Vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking flour
- 4 tablespoons of honey
For the Strawberry Compote:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
Plus, your favorite ice cream or whipped cream for filling!
For the Biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients--you can use a stand mixer or a bowl and whisk.
- Slowly cut in the solid coconut oil a tablespoon at a time, mixing until a coarse crumble forms. You should be able to squeeze it together with your fingers, and it should fall apart easily.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour out the batter onto a floured surface, and roll it out.
- Cut into small disks with a biscuit cutter or a glass cup.
- Place onto parchment paper and then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown and the biscuits are still soft in the middle.
For the Strawberry Compote -
- Add the strawberries and honey to a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes and mashing the strawberries with a wooden spoon as they soften.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Layer one biscuit, a scoop of ice cream (or a squeeze of whipped cream), a some fresh strawberries, and the strawberry compote.
- Top with another biscuit and repeat, ending with the strawberry compote.
- Enjoy warm or chilled!