"Wow, I really hate desserts that taste good and are a little bit better for my body!"
Said no one ever!
We all know the truth: dessert tastes like heaven, but it can sometimes lead to a post-indulgence crash that isn't all that great (even if it is totally worth the taste). So, we found a way to take one of our favorite desserts of all time and make it a little bit more gut-friendly for everyone! It takes out some of the richer ingredients and replaces them with some lighter options (including yours truly) that are perfect for everyone--from those with dietary restrictions, to those who just want to make a guilty pleasure a little more innocent!
A few notes before we get into it:
If your dates are on the firmer side, just boil 'em up in a little hot water for a few minutes before serving!
Also, your brownies may be wet in the middle after baking; they come together after cooling, so don't over bake them, or you'll have to start over! :(
For the Brownies:
- 1/4 cup Vita Coco Vanilla Coconutmilk
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ripe banana (or sub 1 egg)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- vegan chocolate chips
For the Date Caramel:
- 6 medjool dates, soft
- 1/3 to 3/4 cup Vita Coco Vanilla Coconutmilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, blend all the brownie ingredients together until smooth. Pour the mix into a greased loaf pan.
- Blend the date ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth. Then swirl them into the top of the brownie mix. Top with chocolate chips.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes.*
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Top with extra cacao powder or cinnamon, slice into squares and serve!